Sunday, May 10, 2009

New city visit, new city move, old city visits

So Chicago was about two months ago now, and it was pretty amazing. Had that nice mix that I was hoping it would; that great metropolitan feel of an NYC yet also had a more spread out, sunny (maybe I just got lucky) midwestern feel to it. Definitely a place I would want to visit a with a friend in the future.

Also have experienced a change of scenery thanks to my first-ever job. Love Austin and always will, but it's kind of nice to get away, especially for that first real world jump... live in the same place for eighteen years and you're bound to develop some baggage no matter how great it is. Work in Flower Mound and live in Grapevine; both cities have appeared in "Best 'so and so' to live in" lists, which is a big plus since I'm a list kind of person. The cities feel like small towns, something which I've never really experienced before. Old school historic district with old timey buildings, great for a nostalgia phenom such as myself. They're also 40 minutes away from Dallas, a nice not-too-close-yet-not-too-far distance if I ever miss the big city lights.

But alas, you can never forget home. For as long I've lived in Austin, I feel like I barely know the city and would have trouble showing people around if asked to. When I come back from now on, I'll be sure to do my fair share of exploration.

No comments: